Tuesday, December 4, 2012

"I'd like to kiss you, but I just washed my hair."

Bette Davis had her priorities right. As did all of the vintage icons. From Rita Hayworth to Elizabeth Taylor, famous film actresses were always making statements with their hairstyles. And luckily for us vintage lovers that's exactly what vintage hairstyles do, they make a statement. Hairstyles like the 'Fake Bob' and 'Victory Rolls' were symbols of the eras they were created in, and even today people instantly recognize them as vintage or retro. However, it was apparent to me right from the start of my vintage make-over that these hairstyles aren't exactly easy, at least not with a little help.

So, I did a lot of research on vintage styling, watched loads of hair tutorials, searched through a lot of books, until I came across an absolute winner. "Vintage Hair Styling: retro styles with step-by-step techniques". Let me just say, as someone who had no clue where to start with styling my hair in general, never mind vintage hairstyles, this book has become an absolute must. It's easy to follow, covers all the basics in loads of detail, and basically just has a lot of fabulous pictures of women with gorgeous hair.

What's best about this book is that it covers popular styles from the 30's all the way through to the 60's, so if you aren't sure about what era you love the most yet, you get the chance to try out loads of different styles to see which ones suit you best!

The reason I decided to post/rave about this book is because it's a great resource for vintage hair styling, especially if you're just beginning to style your look differently and don't really know where to start. You can buy it here, then all you'll have to do is start using the "I'm washing my hair" excuse to avoid guys you don't want to go out with. Sorted.

And as an extra treat here are some of my favourite pics from the book that I've scanned, enjoy!


Photo from "Vintage Hairstyling" by Lauren Rennells, page 66

Photo from "Vintage Hairstyling" by Lauren Rennells, page 72

Photo from "Vintage Hairstyling" by Lauren Rennells,  page  106
Front cover of "Vintage Hairstyling" by Lauren Rennells

Also, I think this book would make a fabulous Christmas present for any vintage lover, whether it be for a loved one, or a little treat for yourself. However I will be posting more about gift ideas for the perfect vintage Christmas in my next post so get your holiday spirit on!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a awesome find - definitely going on the Xmas list :)

Wallflower91 said...

Glad you like it! There will be more posts about vintage styling books in the future :)

Post a Comment